Login | Register

Lecture Ideas

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Lecture Ideas

Postby inominandum » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:45 pm

So, since I popped up on the boards here, I thought I might ask what people would like to hear at Crucible.

I have a few ideas for lectures but its always tough at festivals because of time constraints. Some ideas I have been tossing around:

The Three Layers of Magick: Mind/Energy/Physical
Intro to Sex Magick
Real history of the Necronomicon
Ensorcelling, the arts of persuasion and influence
The Cult of St Cyprian, the Patron Saint of Sorcerers
Onieric Sorcery: Dont interpret your dreams. Exploit them!
Sit the Fuck Down and Shut the Fuck Up: Meditation for Mages.

I am open to other suggestions though if anyone has something specific, and I know anything at all about it.
inominandum
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:27 am

Sex Magic was done last year. (And the year before there was a panel on it)

I like the Ensorcelling one.

The history of the Necronomicon while not as how-to as I'd like, I've read your article on it, and I think you are one of the very few people who could give that lecture so perhaps that's not a bad idea just for posterity reasons.

Meditation...feh. :)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Re: Lecture Ideas

Postby GodOfBiscuits » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:30 am

inominandum wrote:So, since I popped up on the boards here, I thought I might ask what people would like to hear at Crucible.

I have a few ideas for lectures but its always tough at festivals because of time constraints. Some ideas I have been tossing around:

Intro to Sex Magick
Real history of the Necronomicon

I am open to other suggestions though if anyone has something specific, and I know anything at all about it.

Can I offer love for all of those? (INCLUDING meditation. ;)

Indeed, Sex Magick we've done before.

I'd be particularly up for the Real History of the Necronomion, Onieric Sorcery, or the Cult of St. Cyprian.
"Worshipped by biscuits everywhere."
GodOfBiscuits
Regular
Regular

Postby FireEssence » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:53 am

While I'm not going to be up this year, I would say that the two that interest me the most would be Ensorcelling and the meditation one. Mostly because from what I've seen of you, I think your perspective would be interesting. Academia can be done by people with the motivation, a unique perspective on how to achieve or go about something is always special. :-)
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby Oyama » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Meditation and Sex magic would most interest me, but since sex magic seems unpopular, I'd also say Necronomicon.
Your anguish sustains me.

Madness is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!
Oyama
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Obsidian » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:41 am

Unfortunately, there's absolutely no possibility of me attending >.< I'm only really commenting because that list looks so damn appealing.

I would love to hear about any of those.

Are there any online articles I can be nudged in the direction of?

The history of the Necronomicon would be extremely interesting, as would the Onieric sorcery. And everyone loves sex magic =)

btw, kudos on the wording. "Don't interpret your dreams. Exploit them!" and, "Sit The Fuck Down and Shut The Fuck Up" are probably some of the most amusing intro lines I've heard in a while =)
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby StormSeeker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Awesome sounding lecture names. :D

In no particular order, (other than the one you listed them in,^_^) I'm interested in:

I'm mostly curious about how meditation for mages is different than meditation for others, which is implied. I'm guessing it has to do with turning off the typical "how, what, why, how do I make it better? is it a weapon? can I turn it into a weapon? how can I turn it into a weapon? and what else can I get out of it" dialogue many of us seem to have running through our heads. :)

Dream stuff interests me greatly. As does any perspective on how reality, magic, and people in general, are structured.

And the ensorcelling one...well, power and manipulation are fun, useful tools. :D
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby inominandum » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Two possibilities that I forgot to mention:

New Orleans Style Magick: Not quite Hoodoo and definately not Vodou, learn about the true magick of New Orleans

and

Places of Power. A talk about places of magickal power, both natural and man-made, and how to use them in magick. Specific places in the NY/NJ/PA area, like the Cave of Kelpius, the Blue Holes, and the Bryn Athyn Cathedral will be discussed.
inominandum
Visitor
Visitor

Postby inominandum » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm mostly curious about how meditation for mages is different than meditation for others, which is implied. I'm guessing it has to do with turning off the typical "how, what, why, how do I make it better? is it a weapon? can I turn it into a weapon? how can I turn it into a weapon? and what else can I get out of it" dialogue many of us seem to have running through our heads.

Part of it is that; the mental detachment from the lust of result that can actually disrupt the higher parts of the mind from doing its magick fater than thought...

Part of it is about the powers that come spontaneously from meditation itself and the types of magick that can only be performed from the standpoint of rigpa or the state of natural awareness...

Doesnt matter, I dont think I am picking that one. I think its ensorcelling and something else if there is room on the schedule.

What are the panels going to be about BTW? [/quote]
inominandum
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Well, the panels haven't been decided on yet. We are still kicking around ideas in the background.

As far as extra speaking goes, we actually only have 2 slots left open since we have 8 confirmed speakers, and there are about 5 people kinda wanting to speak, so we have to determine what is most appropriate. I think this is the first time Crucible has had TOO many speakers. :)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Kiynethe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:17 am

We can only pick one? Alas!

In order of interest:

Intro to Sex Magick
Sit the Fuck Down and Shut the Fuck Up: Meditation for Mages. (<3)

I don't suppose we could request Tibetan magic again? =3
Kiynethe
Regular
Regular

Postby GodOfBiscuits » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:52 am

As a quick (but related) sidenote - would you potentially like to come speak at the NJ Pagan Picnic on August 2nd? They just lost their Egyptian speaker (Shawn) and I thought you might fill in really well, plus it might be good for Crucible.
GodOfBiscuits
Regular
Regular

Postby inominandum » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:38 am

What time does the picnic end? I have to work, but could do it if it went late enough.

With more notice I can take off.

BTW, I noted that the crucible site has my old website listed. I am working on a great new flashy one, but if you could put my new blog up in the meantime I would appreciate it, www.strategicsorcery.blogspot.com
inominandum
Visitor
Visitor

Postby GodOfBiscuits » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:44 am

inominandum wrote:What time does the picnic end? I have to work, but could do it if it went late enough.

With more notice I can take off.

BTW, I noted that the crucible site has my old website listed. I am working on a great new flashy one, but if you could put my new blog up in the meantime I would appreciate it, www.strategicsorcery.blogspot.com

Hm. I think it ends at 6, and they were possibly looking for 4 p.m.?
GodOfBiscuits
Regular
Regular

Postby Modron » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:26 pm

If i had to choose only one, it would be ensorcelling.

Yay, looking forward to Crucible.
Modron
New Student
New Student

Next

Return to General Discussion