Login | Register

Hi! A Year and a Half After Joining! :D

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Hi! A Year and a Half After Joining! :D

Postby NightOwl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi there!

This will sound ridiculous but I have basically been in Omni for about 1 year 9 months-ish.

...And this is my first actual forum post.

But yeah. Now I'm getting off my lazy butt and be more active on the forum. :D
NightOwl
Research Student
Research Student

Re: Hi! A Year and a Half After Joining! :D

Postby Rune-Chi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:46 am

Hey NightOwl. Cool to see an active member. I was wondering, ofcourse without you giving awaking any secrets, what has been your overall experience of being a member of Omnimancy?
Rune-Chi
Visitor
Visitor

Postby FireEssence » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Just so you don't get too thrown off by the lack of heavy forum activity in the public sections in recent years, just know it's primarily because most members interact within the group, or have outside sources of magical discussion in their lives (with the caveat being that members have to be careful about what level of specifics they discuss outside the group, if it is Omni-technique related). These forums were really active years ago when the group got a bit more "publicity" in other circles (for example, I was super active years ago when I was a hanger-on who had learned of the group through the psionics community and chaos magic community, via acquaintances who were members but also still active elsewhere).

I've been in the group since March of 2012, albeit, in the online group (whereas our poster here is a member of Core, I believe). Overall, I've had a great time with the curriculum-- what hasn't been new has been refreshing (it's surprising how out of practice you can get with some skills!) and what has been new has been eye-opening. I'd say my practice has evolved during my time in the group, in ways it might not have outside of Omni. Of course, I would also say that the group has stimulated my return to certain practices or magical interests that are OUTSIDE of Omni, because of varying reasons too. In the end, I'd say I've become quite well-rounded, and, given that we meet weekly, made some great friends and allies within the group. :-)
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby Rune-Chi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:01 am

Hey Fire-Essence, thanks for to the reply and sharing your thoughts. Just trying to get a better feel for the character of the group. Hoping I'll beable to pop by crucible this year and explore some Omni lectures and meet some Omnimancer's.
Rune-Chi
Visitor
Visitor

Postby NightOwl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:58 am

Rune-Chi wrote:what has been your overall experience of being a member of Omnimancy?

Ooh my gods I love being in Omni. And yes, I'm in Core. :D

From my experience, Omni is almost like being in a occult forensics lab run by naughty-minded engineers. I had been an officer of the Rutger's pagan club and met several different pagan groups, Wiccans, Druids, Heathens, etcetera. They all wanted to talk about worship and "serving the gods." Arthur, when he came in representing Omnimancy, talked about "tech-based spells" that could magically cleanse an object in one second whereas a more mainstream pagan might spend 30 minutes casting a circle, calling the quarters, doing the actual work, and then grounding afterwards.

I like the Omnimancy point of view because it's an interesting combination of theism and naturalism. The afterlife & spirits are acknowledged, however they are viewed as simply another habitat and lifeforms, without any of the usual religious sensitivities, which I personally find rather refreshing from the usual dichotomy of atheism and woo.

As a magical system, Omni is basically astral science. We observe astral things, take apart astral things, learn more about stuff, and we make stuff. And we do this with the mentality of a bunch of mad scientists laughing over the ridiculous technical specifications of their latest creation. I totally loves it. :D
NightOwl
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Rune-Chi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:55 am

NightOwl wrote:
Rune-Chi wrote:what has been your overall experience of being a member of Omnimancy?

Ooh my gods I love being in Omni. And yes, I'm in Core. :D

From my experience, Omni is almost like being in a occult forensics lab run by naughty-minded engineers. I had been an officer of the Rutger's pagan club and met several different pagan groups, Wiccans, Druids, Heathens, etcetera. They all wanted to talk about worship and "serving the gods." Arthur, when he came in representing Omnimancy, talked about "tech-based spells" that could magically cleanse an object in one second whereas a more mainstream pagan might spend 30 minutes casting a circle, calling the quarters, doing the actual work, and then grounding afterwards.

I like the Omnimancy point of view because it's an interesting combination of theism and naturalism. The afterlife & spirits are acknowledged, however they are viewed as simply another habitat and lifeforms, without any of the usual religious sensitivities, which I personally find rather refreshing from the usual dichotomy of atheism and woo.

As a magical system, Omni is basically astral science. We observe astral things, take apart astral things, learn more about stuff, and we make stuff. And we do this with the mentality of a bunch of mad scientists laughing over the ridiculous technical specifications of their latest creation. I totally loves it. :D

Lol, NightOwl, very cool. Thanks for such a spirited response. It really is intriguing how differently Omni handles working with spirits and the scientific approach. It's a paradigm or appraoch that I've never seen before. "Mad scientists", "Naughty-minded engineers"....lol, cracked me up. Love it thanks for sharing. :)
Rune-Chi
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Apophis » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Hey, NightOwl, I am glad you have made your first post :D. This will be one of my first besides the application. I just got accepted and can't wait :D. Everything y'all are describing sounds like what I have looking for all this time. So cheers :D
Apophis
Visitor
Visitor

Postby NightOwl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Apophis wrote:Hey, NightOwl, I am glad you have made your first post :D. This will be one of my first besides the application. I just got accepted and can't wait :D. Everything y'all are describing sounds like what I have looking for all this time. So cheers :D

Hi there Apophis. Congrats on your acceptance! And yes, I bet you'll love it here.
NightOwl
Research Student
Research Student

Return to General Discussion