Login | Register

Death.

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Death.

Postby Oyama » Sat May 05, 2007 3:46 am

I seem to be finding a lot of interesting things around the internet lately.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18368186/si ... /?GT1=9951

I'd love to hear what the formerly dead people had to say, if they got it to work.
Your anguish sustains me.

Madness is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!
Oyama
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Contrary » Sat May 05, 2007 9:30 am

Wow, that's really interesting.. I wonder how that'll effect the treatment of GSWs and other related causes of death? If all the patients need is a way to keep the brain alive while carefully reintroducing oxygen to the body, alot more soldiers might be saved.
-Adam
Contrary
The Contrary One
The Contrary One

Postby Obsidian » Sun May 06, 2007 9:14 am

Damn man, that's a pretty startling field of research. I've read a fair bit on hypothermic resuscitation and stuff.

There's doctors/surgeons out there who lower the body-temperature drastically so they can spend longer working on repairing the damage to the body (injury, trauma, whatever) then gradually raise the temperature.

They haven't done much work with people who died at regular temperatures, or like, 15/20 minutes before they were found, etc.

I really liked the findings relating cell death upon reperfusion to mitochondrial self-terminating. It makes a fair bit of sense, really. Why else would the cells die from lack of, or abundance of oxygen? Only the miochondria can kill them.

I especially loved this part. It sounds so good =P

"The study involved just 34 patients, but 80 percent of them were discharged from the hospital alive."
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby StormSeeker » Sun May 06, 2007 11:00 pm

Oh wow...this is creepy, (well it's creepy to see it in print I guess as it bears a lot of similarity to things I have figured out on my own regarding healing, and the physical death and dying process(es).)

The hypothermia thing makes perfect sense to me, given my own experiences. I thought that was actually something that's been used as awhile for the same results.

Very cool. *agrees with Adam on the point about the soldiers*
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Return to General Discussion