Login | Register

Are you right brain or left brain dominant.

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

Does it spin clockwise, counter-clockwise, or both?

Clockwise (Right)
53%
Counter-Clockwise (Left)
18%
Both (?)
29%

Total votes : 17
  • Author
Postby Syntax » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Paramemtic wrote:Both, depending on where on the page it was and where at it I looked, and whether I was looking directly at it.

Nice. So you're ambi-brained! That's three for the ambi's, your trailing behind the Righties. Poor Lefties. :(

Clockwise rulez!!!
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby LordArt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Considering the sampling of people, it shouldn't surprise you most of the people here see it going clockwise. We are on this site because of our mutual interest in magic. Magic is a function of mostly our emotional self, not our logical self. I suppose those that can make it go either way can use logic easier in their magic, but that might not mean anything. :)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby LightLink » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:26 pm

How is magic a function more of our emotional self?
LightLink
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:57 pm

LightLink wrote:How is magic a function more of our emotional self?

Because most of magic boils down to a "feeling". You can use logic to invoke that feeling (or logic to block it), but in the end, it's the non-tangible part of yourself that controls how you work your magic.

Anyone who has done magic a lot knows that the ritual and other such focuses are distractions for the logical mind to allow the "emotional self" to get to work. If it was a product of the logical self, then magic would act far more logically, invoked logically, and be understood logically.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Obsidian » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 am

I made her dance good and proper. After about a minute and a half of shifting my perspective one way to the other, I saw her turn doing a one-hundred and eighty degree arc with the leg in front.

None of this turning stuff for me! She's always facing =P It's just back-and-forth, back-and-forth.

I saw Anti-clockwise initially, looked at her feet and saw it clock-wise then juggled for a few moments to achieve above result =)
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby Syntax » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Obsidian wrote:None of this turning stuff for me! She's always facing =P It's just back-and-forth, back-and-forth.

The wife achieved the same effect by looking at the feet also. I managed it for only one back-and-forth cycle.
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Bob_stew » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:37 am

I can make her change the way she spins, but I cannot see both possibilities at once, nor make her flip just back and forth. Drives me nuts.

When she spins clockwise, her head tilts to her right, and when she spins counter-clockwise, her head tilts to her left.

:eek:
Bob_stew
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Obsidian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:48 am

I didn't need to look at her feet to get that effect. I looked at her foot/shadow once to notice the change, but (as deviot as it sounds) her ass is what gave it away for me.

There was just something about the way she was drawn that gave it away, around the stomach/ass region.

If you look closely you can see where the .gif repeats itself to =) There's about three frames too little in it.
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby StormSeeker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:09 am

Ooh, nifty stuff.

Originally, I looked at this thread a few days ago, and if I remember right, she went anti-clockwise for me at first, then I thought about her going clockwise and she did. I couldn't get her to shift back though.

Tonight, she went clockwise, then anti-clockwise, and then clockwise again, and I can get her to shift back and forth if I overlap what I'm seeing physically, with the visualization in my head that she's going in the opposite direction.

I looked at the wiki page which Para posted too and watched the gif that they have there to demonstrate the effect; I managed to change it back and forth as well, and can seem to do so at a far quicker and easier rate (almost instaneously), than the dancer. The brain does interesting things, it seems. :)
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Bobrobyn_ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:46 am

Doing math, or whatever, doesn't really help it change. I need to consintrate on which way I want it to spin...kind of like some of those optical illusions, how you need to look at them differently to see different images.

However, with that said, I had it spin counter-clockwise to start off, and can switch it back and forth when I focus on it. I tend to get it to spin counter-clockwise first -- and if it really is showing whether you're left or right brained, it makes sense for me -- I'm a computer science major. It is a neat mental exercise though.
Bobrobyn_
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Kiynethe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:55 am

I'm thinking it was just a fluke. =3 Alas.
Kiynethe
Regular
Regular

Postby Syntax » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 am

It might be a fluke, but some recent research has been showing that foreground and background processing is likely linked to right and left brain dominance. There maybe something inherent in that image that checks for whether your processing first from the foreground or first from the background. As far as left and right brain being clearly delineated, probably not. But the data does show that there is at least a weak correlation between different types of thinking being associated with the left or the right hemispheres.

Oh oh, and even more fun, it is often reversed in left-handed folk. So it is likely a myth that the left-handed are more creative. If statistics show that they are, well then most of that could probably be attributed to the environment. BUT, that might just be righty propaganda. :P
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Paramemetic » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Could you cite that research? Because I haven't had a psychology class yet which taught about hemispheric dominance being anything more than a pop-psychology myth, and I've taken classes on psychophysiology and neuropsychology.

There is such a thing as hemispheric specialization - for example, Broca's and Wernicke's areas are almost always on the left side hemisphere (there are some of the areas responsible for language processing), and the right hemisphere does control the left side of the body as well as process information from the left visual field (the left half of the vision from each eye, not the left eye alone), but there is no "dominance" that affects creativity, logical reasoning, or so forth.

The brain is really designed to work as a single unit and except in cases where the corpus callosum is severed it does so.
Paramemetic
Visitor
Visitor

Previous

Return to General Discussion