Login | Register

Link Enhancer

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Link Enhancer

Postby DrFredbert » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:40 am

Has anybody worked with a link (tether?) enhancer? Just curious.

Links: Similar to what I've read about tethers on the site, but I tend to view links as having several types. There are casual links and more defined links of all types. I also don't necessarily view them spatially.

Purpose: To enhance data flow between links of various types.

Results: I've found my spells working better and my ability to read objects has increased with my link enhancer, albeit to a small degree. This could all be due to boosted confidence from thinking I have a better sense of what's going on. I'm still experimenting and looking for comments and criticisms.

Thoughts: The ability to read objects would obviously be a byproduct of such a construct if it worked. Having the spells work better seems to be due to a better grasp of what is going on with the spell and not any enhancement of the spells themselves, as far as I can tell.

This may be that this is something everyone is already doing and somewhat of a duh, but it was a moment of ah ha for myself.

Method: My current method is using a shield to enhance the data from my links. It is rather crude and simple--create a shield programmed to enhance specific links. I have also experimented with casting spells already fitted with different types of link enhancers. At the moment it all needs more testing on my part, but I feel most confident with the Shield of Link Enhancement +5.
Dr. Fredbert
DrFredbert
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:48 am

Well, there are several types of tethers actually. It just isn't in the public docs that I'm aware of (could be, I haven't looked at those in a long while).

In anycase, I know a psion who joined up(if he wishes to identify himself, that is up to him) with Omni use to use "link extenders". It was like putting a pole on the end of your reach so you could reach further. He was weened off that since the information they provided was limited in comparison to what he was learning so it was holding him back, but it was a valid technique for him for the time.

I will agree that providing a better medium for the energy to flow DOES help. I've described several ways that is done in other threads actually. Mostly that was for spells and their efficiency rather than senses. Amps always helped with senses (and spells for that matter), but even the spells benifitted from a better conduit tech. Senses were augmented in other ways, but mostly understanding of the environment and in so doing understanding what other information that would normally be dismissed means, which of course in the end greatly increased the wealth of knowledge.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby DrFredbert » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:01 pm

lordart wrote:...you no longer have a empty tube for energy to flow, but a crystaline like material that naturally conducts magical energy with FAR less resistance than a magical tube does, it doesn't break down like a normal spell would, and therefore doesn't require the same amount of magical will or power to maintain and is naturally resistant to the "magical winds" that are out there that normally break down spells over time.

Based on what I've gathered from the above, links/tethers in omnimancy are spacial, right?

Something else of interest in this snippet is a clue as to why most of my energy constructs don't last too long with out constant attention ... structure. I've tried to avoid materials as described in previous posts to see if I could get similar reported effects without it. (I like to be different.) Right now the want and desire to be different is smacking up against frustration. Materials may be in my future.

Also, I'd be curious to hear about the link extenders from said author of the extenders if s/he doesn't mind presenting it. :)
Dr. Fredbert
DrFredbert
Visitor
Visitor

Return to Open Magical Discussion